Sunday, February 21, 2010

Casablanca in Kailua

A bunch of us went to Casablanca in Kailua for dinner last night. Me and Leslie had been there before, but it was the first time for everybody else.

Casablanca serves Moroccan food. At Casablanca everyone gets the same soup, salad, B'stilla and dessert , but each person gets to order their own main dish.
Here's a description of the menu items.
The waitress first gave each of us a towel.
Then we got a hand washing. Traditionally, you're supposed to eat with your hands, but we asked for forks.
She then served us Harrira Soup.
You drink if directly from the bowl . . . no spoon. It was very good.
Then came the Moroccan Salad with carrots, eggplant, tomato and pepper, cucumber, olives and hummus.
The waitress brought a basket filled with bread and advised us to take at least two pieces. . .
but didn't give us a plate to put them on, so I put them on my towel.
You're probably supposed to use the bread to dip into the salad, but most of us just used our forks.
This was my favorite . . . B'stilla . . . made with fillo dough, nuts and chicken.
Again, no plate to put our servings on, so I kinda sliced pieces and put them on our shared salad plate.
It was yummy. My calamari. It was only so so.
Joy's fresh Ahi Charmoula.
Kaori's Cornich Game Hen with Prunes and Honey.
CQ's Shrimp
Leslie's Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables.
Earl's Couscous with Lamb and Vegetables.
Wendell's Rack of Lamb. He said it was really good.
The ceiling had a faux tent appearance.
After the main course, we had another hand washing.
And a sprinkling of scented water. I really liked the smell which lingered even after I got home.
The dessert was some Chabblakia and Baklava. The Chabblakia was like sweet funnel cake. I didn't care for it, but the Baklava was good.
Mint tea was served last. I thought it was refreshing. If you haven't been to Casablanca, you should check it out . . . something different . . . athough Wendell thought it was a little too different for him.

10 comments:

Randism said...

mmmmm! more ono looking food! i stay drooling!!!

Betty Townsend said...

I'd be with Wendell! hahahaha!! Although the food does look really good. Looks like you all were having a good time.

jalna said...

Rand, it's also BYOB.

Betty, you might've liked it. There was a lot of lamb selections.

Les said...

Hahahaa! Did you see CQ's face while she was getting sprinkled with water?? Hilarious! Too bad we all never used our hands...can you imagine what the pictures would look like?? :D I'd go home hungry!

jalna said...

Hahahaha . . . not to even mention the mess we would've made.

Unknown said...

My shrim was okay...but i liked Kaoris chicken with honey and prunes...was guuud.

jalna said...

Yeah CQ, I think I woulda liked Kaori's too.

Les said...

mines was junk!

Dd said...

OMG...did the b'stilla have almonds in it, I think I made this at culinary school, I might still have that recipe !!

jalna said...

Didi, if you still have the recipe, can I have it? I'll give to CQ . . . too hard for me.