Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Karashizuke (Long Eggplant Pickled in Mustard)


Still feeling my way around this kon-kon making thing. This time I tried it with eggplant.

I sliced 6 eggplants into 1/2-inch thick slices, put them in my nifty press and sprinkled with 1/3 c. Hawaiian salt. The recipe said to let stand for 4 hours, but after 4 hours the eggplant looked the same, like no shrinking action was happening. I ended up leaving it for 10 hours.

I finally took the eggplant out of the press, rinsed and just squeezed the liquid out with my hands. Then I mixed 2 tsp. dry mustard (the recipe calls for 6 tsp. but I didn't want it too hot), 3 tsp. rice vinegar, 3/4 c. shoyu, 6 tsp. sugar and the juice from 1 lemon.
Pour liquid over eggplant and refrigerate 2 to 3 days before serving.
I thought it tasted not bad . . . Wendell said it needed more mustard . . .
Update on my dried daikon: After one week of drying and one day of pickling my daikon tastes like a raw radish . . . PTUI . . . PTUI . . . PTUI.

4 comments:

Betty Townsend said...

The eggplant looks good, I'm not sure about the daikon though.

jalna said...

Betty, not only is the daikon bitter, but I didn't peel off the skin before drying . . . thought I should do it after. Ummmm . . . no can peel after drying. So tonight I tried cutting the skin off and now I got four itty bitty daikons left pickling in the press.

Les said...

soooo funny! you should take an "after" picture of your daikon!! :)

jalna said...

Les, I going try, but not sure if I going have anything left by the time I'm done.