Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pioneer Saloon Plate Lunch

Pioneer Saloon Plate Lunch did the food for Ikuko and Tom's Wedding and it was some ono! Wendell is always game to try new eating places so we went to check it out today.

It's on Monsarrat with limited parking just before the building. I think these are their three stalls.

This is posted right outside. They're open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and are closed on Mondays.
This was the scene when we first entered. Isn't it neat!!
The cook is on the left and Ikuko's friend on the right.
Here Wendell is asking about their catering options.
The leaning musubi bothered me, and I tried to straighten it before the shot but it just wouldn't cooperate.
I didn't quite understand all of the props, but they were pretty cool just the same.
Wendell's waiting for our order. Pretty comfy yeah!
I think this side order of croquettes was about $4.
Katsu Curry $7
Grilled Saba $7
Spareribs $7

13 comments:

K and S said...

ooh, everything looks so ono! and reasonably priced too!

SW said...

I've been on Monsarrat but never seen this quaint place...ah..but looking out the window in the pic w/ Wendell..I think I know where it is! The interior is so cool..wonder what it would look if it was HDR'd...hmm...the ribs looked really good...so how was the taste?

jalna said...

Kat, I know, I liked the prices too!

Shun Wah, I can sooo picture you and Erick in there with your tripods! The ribs and saba were for Wendell's dad and sister, so I don't really know how they tasted. I took a bite out of the katsu and it was really good. All I bought for myself was a tuna/mayo musubi and it was delicious. At Ikuko's wedding my favorite was a shrimp and asparagus dish made with a sweet chili/mayo sauce. I asked about it today, but she said that they don't normally serve it.

Leslie's pics said...

Wow, I never knew this place existed! Gotta try it out one day...

Erick said...

Let me grab my tripod and do some HDR there, they have the coolest old stuff. They also make the best sushi I've every had outside an expensive sushi bar. Their hamachi and salmon nigiri is absolutely incredible! Great shooting!

jalna said...

Les, Wendell said he's pretty sure there was a Mexican place there before.

Erick, the cook is also a sushi chef, but apparently they don't serve sushi there. Wendell asked.

Betty Townsend said...

Oh wow!!! Cool looking place. Reminds me of that BBQ place we stopped at in Texas on our trip in May. All the different items in the space is really unique. The food looks really good too. The street name is familiar but I can't remember what part of town that is.

jalna said...

Betty, I love the look too! Monsarrat starts (or ends) between the back of the zoo and Kapiolani Park then heads up between Kapahulu and Diamond Head.

Betty Townsend said...

Oh, yes! I thought that's where it was but wasn't sure. I've been gone from home for so long! lol!

Jesse said...

Me, and my family need to stop by here! Place looks interesting and food looks good. Thanks for sharing.

jalna said...

Jesse, Wendell just went back again and he ordered the Shoyu Pork. He said it was "really, really good".

Unknown said...

Jalna - incredible pics! Hope you don't mind, but I linked up with you on my site - http://akueats.com/pioneer-saloon-a-closer-look.asp. Keep up the really great work! Aku

jalna said...

Hey Aku. I'm feel honored that you linked my blog. My son was just talking about your site. He said that it's one of his favorites.