Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lunch at My House

My family came over today to celebrate my mom's birthday. The food theme was Italian. I made this shrimp with butter, garlic and onions. I bought the shrimp from Costo, under 15 size for only $8.50/lb. They were so fresh and had a really nice firm texture.

Geri brought two salads . . . this one she said she just made up. It had mandarin oranges, won tun chips, fried tofu and feta cheese.
Here's her wilted spinach salad with bacon bits, mushroom, eggs and walnuts.
Wendell's famous baked spaghetti. Soooo funny, my nephew Jason made sure to personally hand carry some of the leftovers home. I put this together: calamari, shrimp, octopus, olives, tomatoes, onions and Paul Newman Italian dressing.
Sweetie brought the garlic bread . . .
and escargot!
Michael prepared this roasted pepper with capers and anchovy dish. Didi made eggplant parmesan . . . and this Mediterranean dish that had eggplant, lamb, pine nuts, cumin and I think she said cinnamon.
Not really Italian but ono just the same, Teren helped me make these Kauai-style Goteborg sausage musubis. Thanks to Kat from Our Adventures in Japan for first turning me on to this ono dish. It was a hit!
Yummmm! Wendell first went to look for the sausage at the Dillingham Marukai but couldn't find it there. He finally found them at Times and they were on sale!
And just so you know that I'm not the only one who burns food, this was made by Didi and Sweetie.

16 comments:

Erick said...

Ono, ono, ono, the food looks so good!!! Sorry, I didn't make this time. But if you invite me I'll there. Great food shot!

Betty Townsend said...

Your family eats well when you all get together. Your sausage musubis look very interesting. Is there a recipe for Wendall's Baked Spaghetti or does he just throw it together? Everything looks so good.

K and S said...

mmm everything looked so ono! and was so BIG in my RSS reader! glad the goteborg was a hit :)

jalna said...

Erick, you like come on Thanksgiving Day?

Betty, thanks for reminding me . . . I've added a link to the recipe for Wendell's baked spaghetti.

Kat, thank YOU!

SW said...

AHH..the food looked soooo good... :P
except the escargot looked kinda slimy looking..great closeups of them though..if only you can insert smell on your blog.. ha! ha!

OkiHwn said...

Your shrimp looks good!!!

jalna said...

Thanks Nate and Shun Wah!

Dd said...

PS-did u baked the goteborg

jalna said...

Didi, no I just fried them . . . it was pretty oily.

Dd said...

Hey hey hey, there is a story. Wendell made his plate late, after the food was packed and in the fridge, so Sweetie, said "wait, you gotta have garlic bread" so we put it under the ...gulp..broiler. And Mike comes in and says "we gotta go gotta get to Charles' football game. And we dashed....leaving the bread in da oven.....;o\

Dd said...

and HOW did you shape the rice so perfectly ?? ice cream scoop ??

jalna said...

Didi, Teren used a measuring cup to form the rice. It was either a 1/2 or 1/3 cup dipped in salted water between scoops.

Dd said...

Kay, now that I gotta make 300 of them.....

jalna said...

Now, I like eat some more!

Tasty Island Hawaii said...

Your "UFOs" look ono!

The Ward Marukai had Goteborg for a short period of time, but not anymore. Yes, Times Supermarket is still the only place I know of that carries Goteborg Sausage on a regular basis. Only thing, you gotta' buy that HUGE honkin' LOG. So most likely at least half of it will end up in the freezer until further use.

jalna said...

Pomai, Wendell bought TWO logs 'cause he wanted to share with his softball team as well as with my family. You're right . . . we do have half a log left in the freezer.