Saturday, November 7, 2009

Ikuko's Kimono

When Erick said that his friend Hiromi needed help shooting a Japanese wedding, I jumped at the chance. And the best part of all was when Hiromi asked if I could also help her with the bride's getting ready shots . . . that's exactly what I wanted to do! So today, a few hours before the start of the wedding ceremony, Hiromi drove me and Ikuko to Watabe Wedding in Waikiki.


The Japanese culture is so steeped in tradition, that I felt like I was witnessing a kimono-dressing ceremony. It was an unreal opportunity for me. I doubt I'll ever get another chance.

12 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

wow! Awesome! I didn't even know that place existed. So lucky...good for you! Pics turned out great!

K and S said...

fun! brings back memories of when we took pictures in kimono @ watabe.

Betty Townsend said...

How exciting to have witnessed and documented this process. I would love to see this sometime. I didn't realize how many pieces are involved in getting dressed in a kimono. I would think it would be difficult to walk much less breathe. The kimono itself is beautiful, all those vibrant colors. Your photos are fantastic!!

jalna said...

Les, Watabe Wedding is a Japanese company which is the "biggest wedding coordinator in the world". I added a link to my post if you like check 'um out.

Kat, you took pictures in kimono!!

Betty, watching Ikuko get dressed was the best part of the whole day for me.

K and S said...

the wig they put you in to take photos in are sooo heavy! worth the time though.

jalna said...

OMG Kat, I never even thought about the brides having to wear a heavy wig on top of all that clothes, plus all that makeup. There must not be too many of these weddings in the summertime.

Erick said...

Pretty involved process, I never knew these places ever existed. Very cool! Great getting ready shots!

jalna said...

Really Erick, and I thought we were gonna be done with hair, makeup and kimono in an hour. Boy, was I wrong.

Dd said...

Who helps the bride getr OUT of the kimono I wonder ?? hummmm...husband ??

jalna said...

OMG Didi, I was wondering the same thing.

SW said...

Great pics of the process! It's like we were there with you to see it too. The kimono looked so beautiful in your shots..great colors!

jalna said...

Thanks Shun Wah!