Monday, July 6, 2009

My Spaghetti


Inspired by Leslie's lasagna, but not so much so that I dared even try something so complicated, I decided to try to make some spaghetti. This is what I ended up with. It was okay.
My sister Didi had given me this vegetarian noodles, so I boiled it for the pasta part.
Neat yeah!
I called Didi for some instructions and was all set to use these ingredients.
I must've gotten confused 'cause I thought she said to do this first. I thought the tomato paste was gonna melt down, but it didn't. . . it started sticking to the bottom of the pan instead. So in a panic, I opened up the 3 cans of tomato sauce and 2 cans of tomatoes and threw them in to kinda water everything down. Then I realized, hey wasn't I supposed to brown the meat? So I threw in the 1 pound of hamburger. And then this happened . . .
The sauce started bubbling and exploding. I had to keep stirring to prevent more explosions.
What was I supposed to do with the 5 Italian sausages? So I fried them up in a separate pan, then threw them and the cut up mushrooms into the bubbling sauce. Forget about the capers and the olives. I never used them. I was having enough problems.
After things quieted down I added some thyme and oregano (the only Italian seasoning I could find) and simmered the whole thing for about an hour. Next time I'm gonna buy Ragu.
Anyway, while this was all happening, I noticed this above the stove. It was tricky trying to get this shot because the hood above the stove obscured my flash. I had to turn my camera upside down and shoot. Nuts yeah. I think it looks neat. Okay, okay, I'll go clean it.

10 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

hahahaha!!! soooo funny!! Yikes! I'd hate to be the one to clean up all the splatters...I hate when that happens! It did look yummy though!

Leslie's pics said...

oh yah, how was the vegetarian noodles? I never seen that before...

jalna said...

Sooo funny yeah. That's so me. That's why all my recipes got food on 'um. The noodles were good. Didi said she found them in Chinatown.

RONW said...

and I thought volcanoes only errupted on the big island. Aren't you suppose to dilute tomato paste?

Betty Townsend said...

Hahahaha!! Jalna, this is funny! Your spaghetti looks yummy. I'm sure it tasted good. I hate messes like that and having to clean them up. :)) I've never seen these noodles before.

jalna said...

Ron, that's so funny 'cause that's what my sauce looked like . . . bubbling lava. Betty, sometimes I feel like "I Love Lucy" when I do stuff like that.

RONW said...

hurrah, my comment finally made it through. Applauds for the National Geographic photo.

jalna said...

Thanks Ron!!

Dd said...

Guess the spaghetti was too much, you forgot about the noodle "instructions".....you gotta share that, hope you kept it ??
hahahha my word verification is explater hahahhaha

jalna said...

Oh my God, Didi . . . I was so into making the spaghetti, I totally forgot about the funny instructions. I still have it. I'll take a picture and share later. Thanks for reminding me.