Sunday, May 3, 2009

Shooting with Erick

I got to tag along with photo buddy Erick today! It's been awhile since we went out shooting together, so it was really nice seeing him again. Erick is into high dynamic range processing lately, and he's been producing some neat stuff. Check it out. How it works is you shoot 3 to 5 shots of the same thing but at different exposures. You then use a special program which combines all of the shots to make one final picture using the best "dynamics" of each of the shots.

The reason I can't get into doing it myself is you have to use a tripod so that all of your shots are exactly the same. Because of my advanced age, I usually try to carry the least amount of gear possible so the tripod usually gets left in the trunk. I just hate lugging around that extra weight.

We walked around the UH campus today, and got to shoot some really neat HDR subjects. I did some extra Photoshop processing on my photos to produce fake high dynamic range-like pictures.

Isn't the above photo so neat! It's taken from within a sala which was donated by the King of Thailand. This is what it looks like from the outside.

6 comments:

SW said...

wow..nice wide angle shot of the Thai Sala. I really like how you took it up to the ceiling. Was that a 10mm lens? I really like the colors of the stain glass mural of Keller Hall (aka Killer Hall as the computer science majors used to call it). Great shots!

jalna said...

Thanks Shun-Wah!! I used the 16-35mm on my 5D. The full frame of the 5D really makes a wide angle lens wide. I've been enjoying your HDR photos too. Great shooting.

Betty Townsend said...

These are so fantastic!!! The colors are so vivid!

Leslie's pics said...

nice pics Jalna!!

Erick said...

Wow, incredible fake HDR shots! Who needs real HDR programs when fake looks so great. Your saturation is so rich. I hope my HDR looks half as good as your fakes. Great shooting!

jalna said...

Thanks Betty and Leslie! Erick thanks for inviting me out. It was great talking story with you and just doing what I love best . . . shooting. Stick to your Photomatix. While it was fun trying to recreate that HDR look, it was humbug and time consuming.