Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Remembering Kaimuki

Here is an e-mail I received from Wendell's good friend Steven Kawada in response to my recent post, Morning in Kaimuki. Steven is uncanny when it comes to remembering the good ole days, and I often call him up when I'm trying to remember stuff from back then.


Enjoyed your recent photos of Kaimuki. I lived where Kaimuki Dry Goods now stands from about 1959 to 1964, so your pics brought back good memories.

I think Toys & Joys was once also an S.H. Kress store. At the other end of the block, across Queen Theater, was Thrifty Pharmacy (predecessor to ABC Stores, I think). At the other end of the block where Kaimuki Bakery stood, was a drug store, where Gecko Books and Azteca are. I think it was either a Value Drugs or a Rexall. National Dollar (dept store) once stood where Goodwill is located now. A pet shop opened on the other end of the block, across Kaimuki Theater.

Before Okata Bento and Kaimuki Camera, do you remember Aotani's, the okazu-ya/soda fountain? I joined the Kaimuki Hongwanji one year, so I could play on the softball team with my friends. Aotani's was our team sponsor and paid for our tee shirts. People used to ask what Aotani's was, as it was printed in bold letters on the back of our tee shirts. During those days, the Kaimuki Businessmen's Association used to sponsor daily parties, during the Xmas holidays, at the Queen Theater... movies, snacks, magician. prizes, etc. The Kaimuki merchants gave tickets to whoever asked for them. So, my friends and I got to know the businesses as we went from store to store to get tickets for the parties. Those were the good old days, that kids today don't know.

Anyway, thanks for the memories.

7 comments:

Erick said...

Ah, the good old days! Nothing like the good old days, brings back some many wonderful images of my youth. Where did they go?

jalna said...

THE DAYS OF MY YOUTH
(Lyrics & Music : Kuiokalani Lee)

Used to fly like the birds on the wings of the wind,
I have played in the sun with a joy deep within,
I had laughter as a toy and a sweet for my tooth
In the beautiful days of my youth.

Ev'ry one that I met was a friend, not a foe,
The fears I have learned way back then I didn't know.
Not one deed meant unkind, not one thought uncouth,
In the beautiful days of my youth.

The time quickly passed, the years traveled on;
The hopes and the dreams have diminished and gone,
Now the child that I face, how familiar he seems,
He's wearing my eyes and living my dreams,

Ah, my innocent child,
I'll spare the untruths
Of the magical days, the bright shining days,
The beautiful days of your youth.

Unknown said...

I remember sitting on my dad's shoulders to get in to see "Sinbad..." at Kaimuki Theater.
Cartoons at Queen.
McInerny - high end in those days.
Mr. Aotani gave out sushi instead of candy at Halloween.
Pahoa Ave. had less traffic. My dad parked on street and washed his car.
Santa Claus parade would pass in front of our house, so the candy would land in our yard.
We walked all around Kaimuki town without fear of being abducted and went home late.
How old am I? (don't answer)

jalna said...

Hey donn, you make me smile.

Dd said...

WHAAAAA WHAAAAA .....shesss......sniff sniff.....

jalna said...

Hey Didi, you make me laugh.

Betty Townsend said...

I think Aotani's was where we went for a cherry coke after school. The bus from Kaimuki Intermediate dropped us off on Koko Head and we walked across the street to catch the bus to go down to 10th Ave to home to Palolo Valley. So many fond memories of Kaimuki town.