Sunday, September 28, 2008

Microwave Mochi Making 101 - 9/28/2008


About a month ago Brandee shared half of a mochi with me. Co-worker Jason's mother-in-law had made it and instead of the usual an filling inside, it had peanuts and coconut. I loved it so much I went online to see if I could find a recipe so that I could make it myself. I found this recipe for microwave mochi called Nor Mai Chi and it looked simple enough. It wasn't simple. It was hard, hard, hard. Or to be more exact . . . it was hot, hot, hot. It's ono, though - chewy, how I like it.

After all my effort, I thought I'd better get at least one good shot of my best piece, so here it is.
Here's my pile of mochi. All the ugly pieces are hidden underneath.If anyone wants to try to make it themselves, here are the instructions , and I have an extra box of mochiko, a can of coconut milk and some leftover filling you can have.

You mix together 3 c. mochiko, 1 can coconut milk, 1/2 c. water (I added 1/4 c. more 'cause it seemed too thick) and 1/2 c. sugar. Put in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 9 minutes.
I couldn't find a recipe for the filling so I just mixed some crushed peanuts, coconut flakes and a spoonful of sugar together.

After the microwave goes "ping" you let the dough rest for about 5 minutes. Then you pour it out onto your Silpat (and if you don't have one, go get one right now 'cause it's the best nonstick surface ever invented - Longs sometimes has it on sale for $15) and roll into a log. Now, this is the hard part 'cause it's sooo hot and you gotta work fast and you try take pictures at the same time.
Ignoring the second-degree burns on your hands and fingers, you put the filling into the middle and then you pinch the ends together.
Until finally you end up with this mess. Looks like I should've put less filling in some of them.
Like I said earlier let me know if you want my extra ingredients.

No comments: